Pages

Like it? Then share it!

Monday, November 3, 2014

Pancakes are my best friend- for now...

I don't know if you all out there share the same fetish as me. When I go on Youtube I absolutely loved searching videos on people cooking, whether it be home cooks sharing recipes or people vlogging street cooks. Cause my oven died a long while ago, I've begun exploring the world of pancakes, crepes and other sweet treats that don't require 'baking' as per sae.

Last week I was rostered for refreshments for my connect group (i.e. bible study class), and thought it would serve a good platform for me to try out my pancake recipe. And it worked a treat. The key to a good pancake is don't over mix the batter. You're gonna activate the gluten if you whisk it into submission. Lumps in the batter ain't gonna wreak the outcome.

The next trick to a good pancake is buttermilk. If you don't have access to this, it's basically the combination of full cream milk and white vinegar. Say one cup to full cream milk to a tablespoon of white cooking vinegar. There's something with the acidity content of the buttermilk that keeps the pancakes fluffy and moist. If you don't gorge it all down the first day, provided it's kept in an airtight container, the pancakes are just as good the next morning; particularly if you pair it up with Nutella....Yum.....

Another tip to note is when you're cooking it, your pan needs to be on a medium heat. Best to use a non stick fry pan, otherwise, ensure you butter your pan decently. You don't want too much butter to the heat in the pan may cause the butter to brown. When the batter is in the pan, let it sit there. Don't feel the urge to flip it immediately. Your pancake will tell you when it's ready to be flipped, which is when the top of the pancake forms air pockets. When it does, simply flip it over and let it cook for another four to five minutes or until cooked.

The last tip I have for a good pancake is to use good quality butter when cooking the pancake. Think about it, it's the butter the coats the outside of the pancake. You'd realize that good quality butter leave a dreamy, gorgeous scent/ flavour on the pancake. So I would highly recommend that you spend just that little bit more on the butter.

We have a whole range of butters in our local supermarket. For those who shop at Coles you'd know what I'm talking about. It can range from local produce to international produce. I generally opt to Western Star which is great for all kinds of recipes. But for this occasion, I decided to splurge a little and opted for Ballantyne (http://www.ballantyne.com.au/about-us/). Trust me, it really does make a difference.

I guess you would like to see the recipe now.

Well then, if you keep watching this space, I might just post it up.

Happy Baking.

Mama Bea.


No comments:

Post a Comment